Monday 23 February 2015

Fantasy & Spirituality





One of my favourite fairy stories as a child was ‘Sleeping Beauty’. Apparently my Mom had a choice of that or Cinderella as my preferred bed time story. My brother loved fact, so Mom had to read to him from the daily newspaper, and my younger sister liked poetry, something I have never really understood.

Anyhow, I was ruminating on my apparent obsession with the world of make believe, fantasy and the unreal, when it dawned on me that I have always been drawn to the unmanifest world of spirituality. I have an indescribable connect with my Spirit being, whatever you choose to call it/her.

It is for this reason that I am an eternal optimist, believing in the power of good and the power of love and forgiveness. This connect I have with the spiritual world is the reason I believe in miracles. I believe in goodness and love transforming the negativity in this world.  I believe as Nelson Mandela said, that love comes more naturally to the human heart. Evil has been learnt by our conditioning and our fears. Evil is not our instinctive nature. Love is.



I watched the movie ‘Maleficent’ this weekend and was delighted with the clever remake of the classic ‘Sleeping Beauty’ fairy tale. It is the most magnificent story of fear and trust and the power of love and forgiveness over hatred. If you haven’t yet seen it, I strongly recommend you do.

The story highlights the two parts of ourselves, the human side that is consumed with its fears and self-serving desires, and the magical part of ourselves which is unencumbered by the need for materialism or human drama. 

The story unravels as most fairy tales do with evil threatening and harming good. Good rises up against evil in an attempt to seek revenge, but in the process becomes hardened and bitter, and transmutes into hatred.

Miraculously, good begins to awaken to the love within and to the barriers and blockages that have hardened her heart. She realizes her blindness in her all-consuming need for revenge. 


The story is a triumph for true love, the only thing that is real and permanent in this fearful and transient world of form.

What I loved about ‘Maleficent’ is that this fairy tale, unlike all the classics, causes us to see the difference between romantic love and true love. It is a story about awakening from the unconscious patterns of behaviour to which we all fall victim, and of triumphing over unforgiveness, bitterness and hatred. 

This movie might just be the catalyst you need to realize your humanness and your own potential for love and hatred. 

If you are feeling despondent about the world affairs - politics, capitalism, poverty, greed, cruelty and war, then snuggle up with this movie and give yourself a positive boost with faith in the miraculous.  

Love always prevails.

I wish you a week of discovering the barriers within you that are sabotaging you from loving yourself.

Have an awesome week.

Love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment