Monday 27 August 2012

Humility

There's a certain niceness about doing chores, a kind of satisfaction in cleaning up after making a mess.

My angel helper who has been assisting me with my housework for the last 18 years, is in hospital and I have been afforded the opportunity to acquaint myself with the finer details of the washing,  ironing, mopping and scrubbing.

I can't say that I have found any of it unpleasant. I have to the contrary, found it rather therapeutic, kind of like an awakened meditation. Whilst your body mechanically vacuums and mops, your mind is free to wander deliciously at its will.

It's almost as though as I feverishly scrub and iron I am working away credits for my next playtime, my well earned state of relaxation. I feel satisfied and humble. I have a sense of connectedness with earth. I feel grounded and I have also discovered a fresh appreciation for my helper who does these repetitive chores, week after week, thereby freeing me up to do what I choose.

I know that some people feel led to travel afar to ashrams to clean other people's toilets, but there is a deep contentment in cleaning one's own toilet as I have found over the last two weeks and I didn't need to travel anywhere.

So, as I reflect in the afterglow of content, I realise I have found meaning in doing the simple things today.

May you too find pleasure in the simple things

lots of love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment