Monday 2 July 2012

Messages from the Matriarchs

I have been reflecting on some of the wisdoms passed down to me by the Matriarchs in my family and thought they were worth sharing.

My late grandmother on my Mom's side, who died at the ripe old age of 102 and a half, almost 2 years ago, was the epitomy of youth, fun and living life to the full. She was a risk taker, living for the day and letting tomorrow take care of itself.

Remembering back to my teens and a conversation I had with my gran, I recall her words of advice. She was telling me that she never felt a day older, even though her physical body was old, but that she cherished the wisdom that came with her maturity. She taught me that although my physical body was going to age, as will all of ours, the maturity and wisdom that I was to gain was something to prize and look forward to. I certainly haven't been disappointed in this regard and eagerly seek more knowledge at the price of my ageing body.

On a separate occasion she shared with me her sadness that she had only ever known one man, sexually speaking, and that was my grandfather from whom she'd been divorced for many years. She envied me growing up in different times where young people were allowed to experience getting to know others in an intimate way before settling down to marriage with one partner.

I could only be grateful that I was not born in the Victorian Era. I am so grateful to have been born into times of equality, democracy, financial freedom, freedom of the press, freedom of self expression, etc. and glad that we no longer have the creed that children are to be seen and not heard. I know that humanity has a long, long way to go, but we forget the origins of our ancestors and we assume the freedom which is now ours.

My late Mother-in-law used to have a favourite saying: "Slowly, slowly, catch the monkey." her words of wisdom were cautioning me to slow down and have patience. I never even heard her whilst she was alive, but now her words hover over me and sink into my psyche and I acknowledge her wisdom.

It's amazing how we are so busy rushing around in our self made dramas, that we often miss the pearls of wisdom in our midst. We record the messages we're hearing for a later time, a time when we are ready to hear them, perhaps for a time when we've weathered some more storms and emerged a bit wiser from our own experience. Why is it that we are unable to learn that which we are taught, prefering to learn it for ourselves?

My late Mom left me with some of the most valuable life lessons. The most profound and true was that we need to listen to our inner voice and always follow its lead, as then we will always know what the right course of action is. Our hearts never lie.

She shared that it was always best to be flexible and let each day unfold in its own way, without trying to resist and control it, allowing oneself the pleasure of the adventure. When we learn to accept each day as a fresh new opportunity, we become more intuitive and are able to read the signs and can access greater peace.

I am ever grateful to these beautiful women for their mature wise words. I know that part of them resides in me and that I too will have opportunity to impart wisdom to my children and their children in time to come.

What a beautiful gift the circle of life is.

Wishing you a week of insights

love
Nicolette



No comments:

Post a Comment