Tuesday 23 June 2015

DAD


It would appear that most of us have father issues, more so than mother issues. It is almost as though there is a universal sadness about the lack of connection we feel with our fathers. Fathers are more prone to experience a tangential, disjointed relationship with their children than mothers, for obvious reasons.

The in-utero bonding that mothers are gifted with, is without doubt, hugely beneficial in catalysing the mother-child connect. Fathers have to make a cognitive commitment and follow this up with consistency to have any chance of fostering a deep and meaningful relationship with their child.

Dads, that you can turn to when you are emotionally raw are the exception. It is the Moms who bear the brunt of our emotional woes. They are the ones who will dig relentlessly until they weed out what is paining you.

As a tribute to the collective pain body I share this…

Dad,
Can you see me?
Not my DNA nor my physical attributes
Can you see my soul’s yearning?
Can you just hear me?
Not what I am saying with my words,
but rather my unspoken feelings?
Can you feel my pain?
Can you offer me a safe space to unburden without judgement?
Could you just hold me in your arms as though there is no tomorrow?
Dad, could you just be there without agenda,
Just because you are my father?
Would you be willing to comfort me when I am hurting?
Will you hold my tears?
Could you?
Without the need to fix or do anything
Would you be prepared to laugh with me until we cry?
Would you listen to my stories,
Without needing to correct them or tell me yours?
Dad, wherever you are
It is not too late
I still have place for you in my heart.

If you have a parent, alive or deceased, or even a lover by whom you feel abandoned or unseen, perhaps this message is for you today. Make space in your heart for this person. It is time to let go of the pain caused by your unmet expectations. Holding onto unresolved sadness is robbing you of your passion and making you ill. Let go because you are safe and secure and loved by your supernatural parent, God. No human relationship will ever come close.

Have a beautiful week.

All my love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment