Tuesday 29 October 2013

Why Education is so Important

With all the youth in the midst of their year-end examinations, I thought it would be nice to send them some love and encouragement on their paths.

I remember so well the conversations I would have with my mom when I was a teenager. Mom used to tell me that education was important, not so much for the content of what we learned, but that it was more about the discipline of committing to something and seeing it through. It was not so much about the parrot fashion cramming of lots of irrelevant facts, but more about learning the skills to process information, in other words learning to think for oneself.

As a young student, we are oftentimes frustrated because of the limiting subject choices that are offered. We ask: "How will I ever use this seemingly irrelevant information that I have to squash into my brain? What is the point when we have search engines, computers and calculators, and so on?"

The point is that learning is a discipline. It is like gym for the brain. Arnold Schwarzenegger never became the strongest, buffest man in the world without spending hours in the gym pushing weights. You have to exercise the brain to keep it agile and supple. It really doesn't matter which courses or subjects you choose. It is the brain gym that counts. Mom always told me that the more languages you were able to learn at a young age, the more easily you would be able to pick up yet more languages when you were older. Have you noticed that those who speak more than three languages seem to have an absolute ease at learning more? Their brains are so developed with regards to languages. It is as though the pathways are connected and open.

The Maths we study at school goes far beyond the realms that we will utilise in our daily lives, however it stretches our brains so that we are able to think outside of our little boxes and imagine and create, because that's where our destinies lie. Our futures depend on our ability to become entrepreneurial and to think for ourselves.

Gone are the days where each learner is assured of a job. Gone are the days of being a button pusher or clerk. Machines and computers are taking over those rolls, and we humans are required to be thinkers and creators.

When I cut out of a piece of cloth and sew a duvet cover or a slip cover for my couch, I am truly grateful for the spatial concepts I learned in Geometry. When I write my blog I am grateful for all those boring lessons I endured in English. I was never an 'A'' or a 'B' student in English. I struggled with poetry and creative writing and yet today I am a self-published author. I learned the grammar and I persevered with the discipline and today it has paid off.

I studied to be a ballet dancer at University and after 3 years as a professional ballet dancer, I realised that it wasn't the profession for me. However the discipline I endured became instilled in me and has enabled me to stay at my computer and write into the early hours of the morning. Working as a performer has helped me with my speaking career. Learning choreography and lighting helped me with my photographic career. Every bit of learning has been utilised. Not a single thing I ever learned has been a waste of time.

So, I want to encourage you, if you are in the process of trying to cram much seemingly irrelevant knowledge into a brain that feels the size of a pea. Never give up! Every scrap of information that you can gather will reward you in years to come and if you invest the time and discipline now, you will be so glad you did.

I encourage you to see education as a wonderful opportunity that will open doors for you that you can't yet see. Commit to study because it is the best exercise for your brain and the more supple your brain, the more choices you will be afforded as you enter the world of adulthood.

Good luck sweet students of life! I am sending you love and the will to persevere. May patience be your constant buddy and determination your guiding spirit. You can do anything you put your mind to.

all my love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment