Monday 17 September 2012

Take that risk

Too many choices? Scared of making the wrong one? What if I choose and then change my mind? How will I feel if I make a mistake and commit to a path that doesn't lead me to where I want to go? Will I be judged for not getting it right? Worse, how will I judge myself?

Does any of this sound familiar? How many of us are too scared to commit, whether it is to relationships, work, life path, personal issues or taking life altering steps in evolving our souls? And just sometimes we are so used to our protective patterns that we don't even know that we're sitting on the proverbial fence, watching others plunge fearlessly into their challenges. We try and learn through other's successes and failures, so as to avoid the hurtful experiences ourselves. We try and take an emotional shortcut. I know I have. I've been storing away my emotions rather than facing and dealing with them. So afraid have I been of confrontation, that I've become a master of navigating my way around circumstances or walking away.

I ask myself; "What do I risk?" I risk feeling emotion. "Why do I fear showing and feeling emotion?" Because I won't be in control of what is happening to me. "Ah, so you'd prefer to have a controlled, lukewarm experience with few bumps along the path? By never taking a risk, you will never fully experience your life, nor will you satisfy your soul's deepest longing? It's rather like never eating anything else other than porridge, for fear of tasting something you may not like, or like throwing acid in your eyes to prevent seeing anything you may regret. This is all fear and the reason for the self imposed control."

What I risk in surrendering to my emotions, is a life of passion, of highs and lows. I will experience love and unlove and I will know 'love'.

What makes a mistake, a mistake? What makes how we acted yesterday with conviction, wrong today? It is our altered consciousness that has caused us to shift our perspective, due to processing of the resultant outcome. It is our mistakes that cause us to challenge ourselves, our lives and our choices going forward. That's how we grow spiritually.

Socrates said: "An unexamined life is not worth living."

We actually have a duty to ourselves to throw ourselves in and try. Life cannot be learnt from a manual. Feelings can't be experienced through studying other's responses to similar experiences. We have to risk feeling, whether it's pleasurable or gruesome.

It is through making  mistakes that new discoveries and inventions are born. Do you not think Einstein, William Bell or the Wright brothers made numerous mistakes along their paths to their breakthrough inventions? It is only through repeated failure and commitment to persevering through doubt and disappointment that these people found the answers and made life changing discoveries. It is all credit to the courage of  inventors like them, who risked mockery and failure, sticking steadfastly to their goals, that we have evolved from cavemen to the species we are today.

If we had continued doing the same we had always done, we'd still be achieving the same result. We'd  still be hunters. Imagine hypothetically that a caveman dropped an orange and chased after it as it rolled down hill. That accident might have been the catalyst in causing a caveman to consider rolling his supplies instead of carrying them. It takes for something to go wrong to produce a different outcome and to challenge our conditioning.

Some of life's biggest mistakes have been the cause of life's greatest inventions. We have to challenge and risk failure and try new things and throw out our old perceptions and conditioning. We need to commit to failure. For out of failure is born creation.

I am newly inspired to push new boundaries and risk failure, to experience and feel whatever life has for me, because I know that surrendering myself fearlessly to life, I am opening myself to my creative potential.

Join me as I dive into uncharted waters with a willingness to touch, taste and feel.

Have a magnificent week

love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment