Monday 18 July 2011

I'm an Addict

I am a sugar addict and I have been for as long as I can remember.

For me there are so many temptations as they come in the form of : sweets, cakes, puddings, alcohol, muesli, muffins, health bars, ice cream, toffee, pancakes... Ooh stop it already!! I just don't seem to have an off button when it comes to sugar.

Today I thought I'd explore the topic of addictions, because I don't know too many people who are well balanced and addiction free, the very person I strive to be.

Most of us seem to have some or one addiction, be it smoking, alcohol, savoury food, sugar, sex, adrenaline sports, drugs, you name it.

Haven't we observed over and over again that abstinence is not a cure. How many times have we tried to quit our addictions by abstaining only to be offered a taste, a sip or a bite five months or two years later and voila! we're back and uncontrollably binging out. It's almost as if we are needing to get our fix for all those days of abstinence. It's as if all those days or months of denial have built up such a resistance that in just one moment of weakness, the walls come tumbling down.

I am fully aware of the reasons for treating life threatening addictions with full abstinence, but I ask myself the question: If I have to abstain from sugar completely for the rest of my life, so as not to spin out of control, then who wins? Have I mastered control over sugar or does sugar still control me?

I remember Neale Donald Walsch introducing me to the concept of, "What you resist, persists" and I have to be entirely honest with myself here. I gave up sugar for three years and I started again. I give it up for months and then one taste gets me all obsessed again. I seem to swing from one extreme to the other. Isn't abstinence just more of the extreme behaviour, but the opposite?

I looked up the metaphysical cause of addictions in Louise Hay's book; 'Heal your Body' and found the suggestion that " we are running from ourselves. Fear. Not knowing how to love ourselves".

With that in mind, aren't we running away in fear when we rigidly impose complete denial upon ourselves? Abstinence with fear cannot be the answer. Fear of one more drink, fear of one taste because It WILL get the better of me!

But what of another option? Louise Hay suggests replacing our old thought patterns with a new one; " I now discover how wonderful I am. I choose to love and enjoy myself."

Perhaps herein lies the key to balance. If we are true to ourselves and dearly love ourselves, if we spend time each day consciously nurturing ourselves, wouldn't we be more inclined to nurture our bodies with energy giving, vital, healthy choices that are good for us rather than giving in to our cravings?

So, let's ask ourselves:
Do I love myself?
Do I deserve the best life has to offer me?
Do I deserve to be healthy, happy and energetic?
Do I choose to nourish and nurture myself?

If we answer yes to all of those questions, then we must be on the road to healthy choices and perhaps if we remind ourselves daily of our worth, we won't find ourselves reaching for an emotional quick fix because we know we are worth more than that!

Wishing you a week of savouring yourself in love, salivating in self appreciation and being the master of your own choices

love
Nicolette

1 comment:

  1. I think I may be a coca cola addict,
    must be the sugar in it!

    Great article.

    ReplyDelete