Monday 9 May 2011

Why do Good things Happen to me?

I was driving down the road today, when I noticed a billboard that asked: "Why do bad things happen to me?" and it got me thinking.

Why do we always ask this same old question? It's as if we expect only good things to happen to us continuously. It's a bit like walking down the aisle and saying:" I take this person to be my spouse FOR BETTER, IN HEALTH AND IN WEALTH". Actually that's pretty much what most of us hear when we say our vows. We tend to glance over THE SICKNESS, THE POORER AND THE WORSE.

How often do we turn around in surprise and say:"Why do good things happen to me?" "Wow another great thing happened to me! We just take the good stuff for granted.

But we always notice when the unpleasant things happen to us. We tend to complain and winge about stuff that is just a normal part of living.

Let's compare our lives to a deck of cards. There are 36 number cards in a pack and there are 16 picture cards (counting the aces). So technically speaking, there are twice as many low-value cards as there are high-value cards. When we are dealt a hand, is it more surprising to be dealt a hand of great cards or a very low hand?

I believe life is like the deck. We are lucky when we are dealt one great hand after another and we should be excited and grateful. But we should always be surprised, because that is not the norm. Two thirds of the cards dealt to us will have to be the lower value cards.

For us to expect only the good things to happen to us is unrealistic.

So the very next time something good happens to us, we need to declare our gratitude and appreciation and ride the crest of the wave for as long as we can, knowing full well that it will peter out and that we will have to paddle hard against the breakers to get out to the back line where we may wait a good while before we catch the next one. Think about it. The time we spend peddaling up hill is a lot longer than the amount of time it takes to free wheel down the other side. Life's like that.

So, this billboard was the messenger it was meant to be, for I suddenly awakened to the fact that lots of amazing things are happening to me, for which I am so grateful and the more I reflected upon this revelation, the happier I got.

So, as I write to you, my friends, today. I am so grateful. Grateful to all of you for the lessons you bring, the challenges and the love that we all share and glad to be able to feel the pain because it is only because of being able to feel that we can appreciate the pain-free days.

So let's take note of all the good that happens in our lives and try and complain less about the bad.

In love, awe and gratitude

Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment