Monday 2 May 2011

My Life is for Rent

Have you ever searched for a meaning, the true meaning of your name? Well I have been searching for the meaning of my surname for a long time, being fixated on the assumption that 'Lodge' means fixed or stuck. Then along came Ron with another meaning to my name and that is a lodger, 'someone who pays to live in another person's house'. Lodge, ' provide a person with somewhere to live temporarily'.

Now, you're probably wondering where I am going with all of this?

Well, this brought the words of one of my favourite song writers to mind. Dido sings: 'My life is for rent and I don't choose to buy. I deserve nothing more than I get, 'cos nothing I have is truly mine...'

How aptly put. Nothing we have or procure in this life do we own. We may think we can amass property, fortune, possessions, friendships, physical attributes...., but do we really own them or do they own us?

Now, I often think about how land came to be possessed by mankind. Who had the audacity to stake out a bunch of God-given land and claim ownership of it for themselves? And then those same people had the cheek to demand that others pay to take ownership of it for themselves. Think about it.

I honestly believe that land was never meant to be bought or sold. We were all brought into this world and should have the right to a piece of land to inhabit. We can't own it. We should just have the free use of it until we die. We should respect it and treat it with care, looking out for any other occupants eg. insects, birds, animals that also have chosen to cohabit with us. We shouldn't poison the insects, snails, spiders etc, nor should we drive the other occupants off, forcing them to live somewhere else.

Maybe we can see a similarity between the land and our bodies and our relationships. How often do we try to control our lovers and friends. We try and take ownership of others and force them to be what we want them to be, without respect for their own choices.

What of our bodies? Don't we abuse and punish them with bad choices of nourishment, drive them on empty forgeting to nourish them with rest, good nutrition and maintenance. Aren't our bodies just on loan to us, much like a hired car? Don't we have a duty to treat them kindly and look after them carefully?

All food for thought!

Well, I have come to realise my life is for rent. Nothing I am and nothing that I have do I own. Not my body, not my property I live on, not my husband or my children, not any of my possessions, and that is quite liberating actually. Wow!

So thank you Ron for your causing me to ponder and reflect on this revelation this week.

May you all have a blessed week of treating Earth and all her inhabitants, including yourselves, kindly and with deep respect.

love
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment